Bank is a verb, not a place.

1 Dec

While I wait for the start of the SEC Championship, my wife forces a trade: future sportszombie time for current husbandnerdout time. At her request, I’m watching the Travel Channel (or is it HGTV?).

A new BofA commercial comes on (no, we don’t have TiVo yet. I know, I know…). Voiceover talks about mobile banking meaning you can bank from anywhere. Then they point out online banking = you never have to go to the bank. I seem to remember other recent spots of theirs boasting a massive ATM network.

Bank is a verb, not a place.

By the way, how smart of a media buy is that: buying a spot on the Travel Channel about banking anywhere. Smart thinkin’, says me.

About these ads

6 Responses to “Bank is a verb, not a place.”

1. Denise Wymore December 3, 2007 at 11:59 pm #

Trey,

Buy a TiVo.

You never have to go to the bank. You know why I love that phrase? Banking is an errand. BofA gets it.

You don’t GET to go to the bank, you have to.
    Or, as you put it – you have to “bank” (verb).

Good stuff….I’m so glad you’re still out there.
    In more ways than one.

2. Bruce Geiger December 4, 2007 at 3:03 pm #

Trey,

I’ve been evangelizing about the infinitive “to bank” for the longest time. In my view, it’s always been something people do, not so much where – or how – they do it. When we operationalize the word that way, we in CU land get to avoid linguistic sinkholes like “online branching.” Yikes!

On another front, I tried to add an RSS feed for your blog, and it doesn’t work – what am I missing?

3. Bruce Geiger December 4, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Re: RSS – never mind – just figured out what I had done wrong.

4. Roger Conant December 17, 2007 at 6:14 pm #

Are you settled yet? Roger

5. Peg December 26, 2007 at 10:20 pm #

Trey – Tony Ward-Smith captured this back in 1993 in a CUES manual… I bought into it then and haven’t let go.
    Banking is a verb.
    Credit Unions use it to refer not to what we ARE, but rather, to what people DO. Ask our members – they get it.

6. Brad Garland January 2, 2008 at 8:55 pm #

Fight for change, credit unioning is where its at!